North American esport organization Tribe Gaming made an incredible lower-bracket run to become world champions at the COD: Mobile World Championship 2022.
North American esport organization Tribe Gaming has won the Call of Duty: Mobile World Championship 2022 after defeating fellow North American esport organization Luminosity Gaming in the grand finals.
Family. pic.twitter.com/pwCOzBxbXT— Tribe Gaming (@TribeGaming) December 19, 2022
The event was held in Raleigh, North Carolina, running alongside the first major of this season's Call of Duty League.
It was also the first time the world championship was held in person after COVID disrupted the 2020 and 2021 editions.
Featuring sixteen teams from across the world and a USD 1.7 million prize pool, it promised to be the most competitive COD: Mobile tournament ever.
It almost wasn't to be for Tribe Gaming, who, after a successful group stage, found themselves on the losing side of their first playoff match against Chinese esport organization Wolves.
But with a home crowd behind them, Tribe Gaming fought back, culminating in a lower bracket run that saw them defeat Wolves in a rematch and setting up a grand final match against Luminosity.
In a grand final marred by technical issues, Tribe Gaming managed to overcome the one-map deficit they entered the finals with, ultimately winning 4-3 and taking home the top prize of USD 700,000.
Luminosity, who were unbeaten up until the grand finals, will take home USD 280,000.
COD: Mobile World Championship 2022 - Final Standings
- 1st place: Tribe Gaming – $700,000
- 2nd place: Luminosity Gaming – $280,000
- 3rd place: iNCO Stalwart – $150,000
- 4th place: Wolves – $110,000
- 5th place: Skade – $80,000
- 6th place: Omega Esports – $80,000
- 7th place: SCARZ – $60,000
- 8th place: STMN Esports – $60,000
- 9th place: NYSL Mayhem – $30,000
- 10th place: Team Vitality – $30,000
- 11th place: Qing Jiu Club – $30,000
- 12th place: ALMGHTY – $30,000
- 13th place: Godlike Esports – $15,000
- 14th place: Strut Esports – $15,000
- 15th place: Influence Chemin Esports – $15,000
- 16th place: Nova Esports EU – $15,000